Starter: Prawn with tartar sauce wrap
You will need:
- 500 ml (2 cups) cake four
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 5 m (1 tsp) salt
- 10 ml (2 tsp) oil
- 175 ml (¾ cup) lukewarm milk
- 60 ml (¼ cup) mayonnaise
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sour cream (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) parsley, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lettuce leaves
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Tortilla: In a large bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add salt and oil to the milk and whisk. Gradually add the milk mixture to the flour and knead the mixture to form dough. Divide the dough into 12 balls, cover with cling wrap and leave for 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball as thinly as possible. Heat a large, dry frying pan and cook the tortilla dough for about 30 seconds on each side and until it blisters. Transfer onto a flat dish and cover with foil.
- Tartar sauce: mix the sauce ingredients together and chill until needed.
- Assemble the wraps: place the chicken filling with lettuce, tomatoes and onion in the centre of the tortilla. Fold the bottom half of the tortilla and then the sides to form a pocket. Use wax wrap to hold the tortilla in place and secure with string.
Dessert: Carrot Cake
You will need:
4 large eggs
375 ml (1½ cups) sugar
250 ml (1 cup) oil
15 ml (1 tbsp) vanilla essence
500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
5 ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
7 ml (1½ tsp) baking powder
7 ml (1½ tsp) ground cinnamon
625 ml (2¼ cups) carrots, peeled and finely grated
1 packet (100 g) pecan nuts, roughly chopped
250 (1 cup) crushed pineapple
2 ml (½ tsp) salt
60 ml (¼ cup) butter at room temperature, cubed
1 tub (250 g) cream cheese at room temperature
500 ml (2 cups) icing sugar
2 ml (½ tsp) vanilla essence
juice and rind of 1 lemon
1 packet (100 g) chopped pecan nuts to garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC and grease a 25 cm diameter ring pan with cooking spray or margarine. In a large bowl, beat the eggs using an electric beater until frothy. Gradually add the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until the mixture is thick and light in colour. Beat in the oil in a steady stream and mix in the vanilla essence. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinnamon and beat until well combined.
- Fold in (lightly mix in) the carrots and nuts into the batter using a spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared ring pan and bake in the oven for 45 minutes until the cake has set and a knife comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Then turn out on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Frosting: Beat the butter and cream cheese together with an electric or hand beater until smooth. Beat in the icing sugar a little at a time until well combined and then stir in the vanilla essence and juice and rind of 1 lemon. Spread over the cake, garnish with nuts (if using) and serve.