Starter: Beef carpaccio salad with mustard vinaigrette
5 ml (1 tsp) whole grain mustard
25 ml (5 tsp) white wine vinegar
Pinch of sugar (optional)
60 ml (4 tbsp) oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 beef fillet
Salt and pepper
2 fresh thyme leaves chopped
Spanspek, scooped into neat teaspoon balls
Wild rocket leaves
- Mix the vinaigrette ingredients together and lightly season with salad and freshly ground pepper for taste. Set aside until needed.
- Season the beef fillet with salt and pepper and rub the chopped thyme on it. Heat a heavy based non-stick pan until hot and then add the oil. Sear the meat for 60 seconds on one side and 30 minute or less on the other side until it forms a bit of a crust.
- Place the meat aside and leave it to rest for 2 minutes. Thinly cut the meat into thin slices and them beat some more with some meat mallet to make it thinner if desired.
- Serve with the cucumber, span speck and while rocket leaves as a starter.
Panacotta with pineapple sauce
Pannacotta is Italian for “cooked cream”. This deliciously smooth, creamy dessert is perfect for a hot summer day. Prepare it at least 6 hours in advance.
You will need:
30 ml (2 tbsp) gelatine powder
60 ml (4 tbsp) cold water
250 ml (1 cup) cream
175 ml () caster sugar
750 ml (3 cups) Bulgarian yoghurt
1 vanilla pod, slit open
500 g fresh pineapple, peeled and chopped
60-125 ml (¼ cup to ½ cup) water
60 ml (4 tsp
mint to garnish
- Sprinkle the gelatine over the cold water and leave it to sponge. Heat the sponged gelatine until just melted, taking care not to let it come to the boil.
- Meanwhile mix the cream, caster sugar, yoghurt and vanilla pod in a glass bowl over a saucepan with hot water, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the vanilla pod from the cream mixture and stir in the gelatine.
- Pour into glasses or small ramekins and chill for at least 6 hours. In the meantime, place the pineapple and water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer until syrupy. Serve with the panacotta, garnish with mint and enjoy.