Main: Sweet & sour chicken
(Recipe from Cookbook.co.za)
You will need:
- 500g skinned and deboned chicken
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 onions
- 1 green pepper cut into squares
- 2 slices pineapple cubed
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (maizena)
- 30ml vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, place in a bowl and cover with most of the maizena (keep aside 1 tablespoon or so). Stir it around to coat each piece evenly.
- Heat a wok with oil and deep fry the chicken pieces until white but not cooked through, remove and drain on paper towel.
- Heat a little oil in the wok for stir-frying, add the peppers, onions and pineapple and cook for about 1 minute stirring.
- Add the Vinegar, sugar, tomato puree, apricot jam and sesame oil, stir for a few minutes and add the chicken. Mix thoroughly and allow to cook for about 3 minutes.
- Now take the rest of the maizena, mix into 50ml of water and pour into the wok to thicken the sauce.
- Serve with boiled rice, you’re gonna love it