Model and Jacob’s Cross star Kendra Etufunwa graces Siba’s kitchen this evening. Intrigued by what a girl in possession of the Longest Legs in Africa likes to eat? Scroll down for the recipe…
You will need:
60 ml (4 tbsp) dried chilli flakes
125 ml (½ cup) warm water
1 red pepper, roasted, sweated and kin peeled off
3 crushed garlic cloves
5 ml (1 tsp) each cumin, and coriander
60 ml (4 tbsp) olive oil
Fish and salad
- Place the chillies in bowl and cover with water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain the water. Using a mortar and pestle or food blender, grind or blend all the ingredients together, except for the oil until paste like.
- Add the oil and continue until a thick paste is formed. Store in a sealed jar in the fridge with a thin layer of olive oil poured on top and keep for up to one month.
- Prepare a salad and place the pan-fried hake on top. Drizzle your harrisa sauce over everything and serve.
Main: Hot crumbed lamb cutlets with roasted wedges and salad
You will need:
8 – 12 lamb cutlets
4 large red chillies, seeded and chopped
4 spring onions, chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
125 ml (½ cup) fresh coriander leaves
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
250 ml (1 cup) thick plain yoghurt
½ cucumber, finely chopped
45 ml (3 tbsp) chopped fresh mint
Sea salt and black pepper
- To make the cucumber yoghurt, place the yoghurt cucumber, mint, sea salt and black pepper in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Trim the lamb cutlets of any excess fat. Place the chillies, spring onions, lemon juice, coriander and olive oil in a food processor and process until roughly chopped.
- Spread the paste over both sides of the cutlets. Place the cutlets on a baking tray and cook under a hot grill for 3- 4 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Place the lamb cutlets on plates and add the cucumber yoghurt.
Dessert: Mango with orange and passion fruit sauce
You will need:
Passion fruit and orange syrup
125 ml (½ cup) passion fruit pulp or 2 cans passion fruit pulp
Juice of 2 oranges, strained
180 ml (¾ cup) caster sugar (or less)
80 ml (¼ cup) mint leaves, torn, to garnish
Dash of Tabasco sauce
1 punnet strawberries, halved or quartered
1 punnet of other berries
lichees, peeled, seeds removed
½ cucumber, cored and sliced
2-3 kiwis (optional)
4 mangoes, halved and pit removed (do not remove the skin)
- For the syrup, place the syrup ingredients in a pan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until syrupy. Cool down completely.
- Score the flesh of the mango without cutting it through the skin and turn it for the mango to make blocks. Place the mango on a platter or large salad dish.
- Scatter the rest of the fruits on top and the mint. Drizzle with the passion fruit syrup. Serve immediately. You can serve it with scoops of ice-cream if you desire.