Siba cooks with Gerry Elsdon
Starter – Pizza salad with sundried tomato dressing
Since Gerry suffers from hypoglycemia (high blood sugar levels), she restricts her sugar and carbohydrate intake. Siba’s twist I added a variety of sausages to her salad and used a sundried tomato pesto dressing to go with the pizza salad.
You will need
Base and topping
1 packet (400 g) mixed salad leaves
6 beetroots, cooked
1 small red cabbage, shredded
1 tin artichoke, drained and quartered (optional)
8 pepperdews, sliced
1 large chorizo sausage, sliced
3 cabanossi sausage, sliced
1 Holland sausage, sliced
60 ml (1/4 cup) shaved Parmesan cheese
60 ml (1/4 cup) sundried tomato pesto
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Base and topping: Scatter the mixed salad leaves on a flat round platter to create the base of the pizza. Slice the beetroot and scatter on the bed of leaves. Add the shredded cabbage, artichokes (if using) and peppadews.
2. Heat a frying pan, dry-fry the slices of sausages for 2 minutes then scatter them on the pizza. Top with the cheese shavings.
3. DRESSING Mix the pesto and oil together and lightly season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the pizza salad just before serving.
Main course – Salmon ravioli with cream sauce
You will need
250 ml (1 cup) flour
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
25 ml (1 ½ tbsp) water
12,5 ml olive oil
100 g cheese and chives cream cheese
100 g smoked salmon, torn in small pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg white, beaten
250 ml (1 cup) cream
45 ml (3 tbsp) chives, finely chopped
1. Pasta: Sift the flour and salt together. Mix the water, olive oil and egg. Add to dry ingredients. Knead the dough thoroughly until it becomes smooth and elastic. Allow to rest for 10-20 min. Roll out with a pasta machine.
2. Filling: Place small blobs of the cream cheese topped with the salmon spaciously on the pasta sheet, paint with egg white around the filling and press the sheets together. Cut into circles or squares. Place in boiling water and cook the pasta for about 8 minutes until al denté.
Sauce: Combine the ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer and reduce until it thickens. Serve with the pasta.
Desert – Crepes with sugar-free chocolate
125 g flour
5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
200 ml milk
175 ml water
5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice
125 ml (1/2 cup) oil
100 g sugar-free chocolate, melted
1. Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together. Beat the eggs, milk, water and lemon juice together. Add the flour mixture and beat again.
2. Add the oil and mix thoroughly (it should have the consistency of thick cream). Allow to rest for at least 30 min.
3. Stir the mixture before making the crepes in a non-stick pan. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and drizzle over the crepes.