Uganda is a land with such endless potential for wild life enthusiast and therefore one of the natural wonders of the world. Birding is a tourist activity that can be done along other activities like enjoying wild life safari,boat cruising, watching the sun rise and set,mountain hiking and climbing,and so much more there is in the tourism industry.
Uganda is a country of the wild in the heart of East Africa , blessed with a variety of bird species like the blue headed, sunbird, brown chested Lapuing, robbins, bee-eaters,African skimmer, African fin foot, the lesser and greater flamingos, among others all surviving in her tropical environment. These can be found in the tropical rain forests, riverine forests, savannah wood lands, swampy areas as well as mountains and national parks, which all make Uganda a paradise for the birders.
1. Bwindi Impenetrable Natural forest harbors about 350 bird species including the short tailed Warbler, Blue heeded sunbird and many others.Located in South Western Uganda, Bwindi is one of the best places to go birding given the number of endemic and rare birds found in various environments. Another reward for visiting Bwindi is gorilla trekking within one of the habituated gorilla groups within the forest.
2. Some birds can be spotted around Kibale’sBigodi wetland, a sanctuary with an estimate of 138 bird species, while others can be detected around Kidepo Valley:Apoka Rest Camp, Narus, and Namamukweny valleys.
3. Lake Mburo is yet another good site for bird watching especially its swampy valleys with salt licks for the birds and its forest.Lake Mburo is gifted with Rofous-bellied Heron, Bateleur, Coqui Francolin, Grey Crowned Crane, Black-bellied Bustard as well as the Brown Chested Lapuing.
4. Mgahinga National Park is another birding site in Uganda and Birds can be seen at the gorge between Mt Gahinga and Sabinyo ranges through the bamboo andmontane forest.
5. Mount Elgon; whose beautiful bird species can be viewed from around Kapkwai Forest Exploration Center and the Cheptui Falls which, is well known for Chubb’s Cisticola, White Chinned Prinia,African Goshawks and African Blue Fly Catcher.
6. Murchison Falls National Park is another great place to go birding in Uganda. This parl located in north western Uganda is one of the most scenic park with a great diversity of wild animals and birds. While on a boat cruise, Murchison Falls also provides you with birding adventure on the distinct bird species like the savannah forest birds, Albertine rift endemics,water birds as well as the Shoebill.
7. Queen Elizabeth; An Important Birding area is habituated by about 800 bird species extending to the Democratic Republic forest where birds are enjoyed at a wider range stretching to both the East and Central of Africa.
8. Rwenzori Mountains: The montane forest of the Rwenzori ranges too offers birding sights and sounds since it is blessed with over 217 bird species like robins, bee-eaters, sunbirds and the barbets among others.
Why Go Birding in Uganda?
Uganda is one of the best birding destinations on the African continent. Located astride the Equator the country has over 1065 bird species. The country has several birding birding sites and several rewarding trips taking different routes are available from selected bird watching tour operators. Contact the Uganda Bird Guides for local information on these routes and best birding times. Keep alert because Birding in Uganda can be a lark literally and metaphorically.