Episode 17 with Theo Kgosinkwe
Singer, record producer and all-round sweetie pie Theo Kgosinkwe takes a seat in Siba’s kitchen tonight for a meal bursting with flavour and style. Scroll down for the recipe…
Starter: Prawns with Mango Atchar Salad
You will need:
30 ml (2 tbsp) mango atchar oil
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil (optional)
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
12 prawns, unshelled and deveined
1 avo, scooped out
4 pepperdews, halved (optional)
60 ml (4 tbsp) atchar
½ red onion, thinly sliced
200 g (1 packet) mixed lettuce leaves
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
45 ml (3 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
Salt, pepper and sugar to season
- Heat both oils and sauté the onions and garlic for a minute.
- Add the prawns, cook until they turn pink – takes about 3-4 minutes and set aside. Cool slightly.
- Mix all the salad ingredients together in a serving dish and top with the prawns. Mix the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad just before serving.
Main: Chicken & Cashew Nut Stir-fry with Egg Rice
You will need:
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3-4 chicken fillets, cut into strips
4 cloves garlic, crushed
15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
6 cm piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 each red, green, and yellow peppers, cored and sliced
2 spring onion, sliced (optional)
125 ml (½ cup) sweet chilli sauce
30 ml (2 tbsp) each soy and teriyaki sauce
50 g roasted cashew nuts
5 ml (1 tsp) or a dash of oyster sauce (optional)
60 ml (¼ cup) water
- Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper, heat the oil in a large saucepan or work and sauté the chicken with garlic until golden and done. Remove from the pan set aside.
- Add the ginger with the peppers and spring onions and sauté for a minute. Add all three sauces, nuts and water. Stir to combine. Add the chicken strips, cook for a few more minutes and set aside.
Serve with egg rice:
20 ml (4 tsp) oil
3 eggs, whisked
500 ml (2 cups) cooked, cold basmati rice
30 ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
3-5 ml (½ -1 tsp) sesame oil for seasoning
- In another pan, heat the oil until hot and add the eggs, heat for a minute or so until it almost set on the sides and scramble the eggs.
- Add the rice and sauce and stir to combine. Season with sesame oil and freshly ground pepper. Serve with the stir-fry.
Dessert: Brandy Baskets
You will need:
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
30 ml (2 tbsp) sugar
30 ml golden syrup
30 ml (2 tbsp) cake flour
5 ml (1 tbsp) ground ginger
10 ml (2 tsp) brandy
250 ml (1 cup) diced seasonal fruits
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and lightly grease a baking tray with butter and line with greased baking paper. Melt the sugar, butter and golden syrup until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and cool the mixture for 2 minutes or less.
- Sift in the flour and ginger into the butter mixture with the brandy and stir well. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture – leaving enough space in between for the sugar snaps to spread.
- Bake for 4-6 minutes until golden and slightly golden brown and the snaps bubbles. Remove from the oven and cool until ready to handle but not hard. Shape into baskets or cones and serve immediately with seasonal fruit and scoops of ice cream.
Back to Cooking with Siba recipes