DESSERT: Chocolate cups with almond biscotti
Prep time: 10-15 min
Baking time: 10-15 min
Makes 4-6 small servings
You will need:
250 ml (1 cup) cream
250 g chilli dark chocolate, broken into squares
2 egg yolks
15 ml (1 tbsp) coffee liqueur
20 g butter, melted
380 g cake flour
160 g castor sugar
3 ml baking powder
3 ml vanilla essence
Grated rind of 2 lemons
3 jumbo eggs
100 g roughly chopped almond nuts
1. Chocolate cups: Heat the cream in a medium sized saucepan over very low heat. Add the chocolate to the hot cream, stirring until melted and hot. Beat the eggs yolks and coffee liqueur and add a little of the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture.
2. Stir the remaining egg mixture into the chocolate mixture and beat until well mixed. Beat in the butter, mixing well. Pour the chocolate mixture into cups and chill for a few hours.
3. Biscotti: preheat the oven to 180 C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Sift the flour into a mixer bowl add the sugar, baking powder, vanilla essence grated lemon rind and eggs while the mixer is running slowly until a smooth and elastic dough id formed.
4. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead with the nuts. Divide the dough in 4 and divide each quarter into an oval shape. Place in a baking tray and flatten lightly and bake until pale brown. Remove from the oven and cut into thin slices or desired thickness.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 160 C and arrange the slices on a baking tray and for another 15 minutes or until dry to the touch.