STARTER: Stuffed calamari cubes
You will need:
500 g calamari cubes – ocean basket has them, defrosted if frozen
3 slices of brown bread
60 ml “(4 tbsp) feta cheese
60 ml (2 tbsp) chopped sundried tomatoes in vinaigrette
½ red pepper, diced
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped chives
45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
2 tbsp) butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red pepper
Potato chips – the frozen ones with a crinkle or wavy cut
1. Clean the calamari cubes and dry them with paper towel.
2. Mix all the stuffing ingredients together and lightly season with salt and pepper.
3. Stuff the cubes and secure with tooth picks.
4. Heat the butter and oil and sauté the garlic and for 30 seconds and fry the stuffed calamari for 4 minutes until cooked ( until they turn white and no longer glossy.
5. Serve with lemon wedges on a bed of watercress and slightly roasted peppers and a side crinkle potato chips
MAIN: Spanish chicken parcel
You will need:
7 ml (1 ½ tsp) smoked paprika
4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
Salt and pepper
20 ml (4 tsp) olive oil
125 g shoulder bacon, cut into pieces
1 small to medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 each red, yellow and green peppers chopped
410 g (1 can) peeled and chopped tomatoes
250 ml (1 cup) chicken or vegetable stock
Egg yolk mixed with milk to brush
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C, grease muffin pans with cooking spray , oil or butter. Rub the chicken pieces with paprika and lightly season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the chicken all over. Remove the chicken and set aside.
2. Fry the bacon in the same pan until almost crispy and add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until soft.
3. Add the peppers and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the tomatoes, stock and stir well. Add the browned chicken and cook for 6 minutes until is cooked and still tender (and not dry), stir in the oregano.
4. Cut the phyllo pastry into equal squares and place about 4 squares in one muffing hole. Add the chicken filling and cover or close if desired. Bake for about for about 5 to 8 minutes until the pastry is crispy. Serve with greens or salad of your choice
DESSERT: Mini tartlets with raspberries
You will need:
375 ml (1 ½ cups) cake flour
2 ml (½ tsp) salt
30 – 45 ml (2-3 tbsp) icing sugar
125 g cold butter
90 ml (6 tbsp) iced water
1 tin caramel treat
1. Base: place the flour, salt, icing sugar and butter in a food processor and and pulse until the mixture resembles bread crumbs, added working ng just enough liquid to bind the ingredients.
2. Turn into a lightly floured surface and gently shape into a ball. Cover with cling wrap and chill for at least 1 hour. Remove form fridge and rest for a while before rolling out with a rolling pin. Do not stretch the dough or roll over the edges.
3. Line loose bottom pie dishes with the pastry and chill until cold before baking otherwise the pastry will shrink during the baking process. Trim the edges with a knife and prick the base with a fork. Bake for ?? minutes until done. Remove and cool.
4. Filling and topping: Mix the caramel with the whipped cream. Add spoonfuls of the mixture into the pre baked tartins and top with the raspberries and garnish with mint.